The full form of IUI is Intrauterine insemination. This is an alternative fertility method for one when they are facing much trouble getting pregnant. This procedure was once known as artificial insemination and one can do it easily without any fertility medication. In case some medications are used, the intake of fertility drugs must start before the doctor goes for the procedure.
During this IUI treatment, the healthy sperms are washed away in a special method, and then they are directly placed into the uterus with the help of a thin tube. This can bring them closer to the egg so that it can increase the success rate of this fertilization.
Who can use the IUI procedure?
This is a non-invasive procedure that is also more affordable as compared to the invasive treatments like IVF. This procedure is common when there is:
- Unexplained infertility
- Decreased sperm motility
- Low sperm count
- Mild endometriosis
- A single woman who wants to conceive
- When a couple wants to avoid passing a genetic condition to the child
- Problems with erection or ejaculation
- Issues with the cervix or cervical mucus
The IUI Process
This treatment depends on one’s menstruation cycle and it must start on the first day of the period. The doctor will use an ultrasound and bloodwork in order to monitor the menstrual cycle for 12 to 14 days. This is in order to ensure that the egg can mature correctly and they are ready for ovulation.
When the egg matures, it breaks free from the ovary, and then it begins the journey through the fallopian tubes for fertilization. This monitoring can lead to the actual IUI which can happen on the ovulation day. The sperm donor or the male partner provides the semen sample which is washed to prepare for the IUI. Then the healthy sperms are picked from the seminal fluid and inserted it into the uterus by using a thin catheter. Then they leave it so that the fertilization can happen in the natural cycle.
The success rate of IUI
The success rate of this procedure depends on a lot of factors:
- The couple’s health diagnosis. The doctor can find several issues to see what is the rate of success of this procedure.
- There can be unexplained fertility like one may have a good egg count and a healthy uterus and the partner also has a good sperm count under all normal conditions. The IUI success rate is much higher in these cases.
- A single open fertility tube means one has a blocked and an unblocked fallopian tube. Pregnancy can happen here but it also depends on where the location of the blockage is.
One must remember that their age is a determining factor when it comes to the success rate of the IUI procedure. As age leads to a decrease in egg quality, the conception rate also drops significantly. If one is suffering from endometriosis then it becomes tough to conceive through the IUI process. One has to be sure about it before approaching.